Do you use Overhead Cranes/ Goliath Cranes / Underslung Cranes ?
When they stop functioning do you get irritated, frustrated and angry?
Are you left worried with the loss of man hours and unfulfilled production or dispatch targets?
Do you end up confused whether you should go to the Crane manufacturers for support or you should manage the issue locally?
What are the key factors important to make decisions on your crane repair and maintenance issues?
Overhead Cranes stop functioning due to wear and tear of a component/ part. Things could also go wrong because of mishandling. Either way, that component/ part needs to be repaired or replaced to have the Overhead Crane running again.
You have the option of calling up a local mechanic/ technician or you can call up your OEM and in this case it will be your Crane manufacturers.
At times, the local technician may sound cheaper and convenient. However before you call him you need to ask a few questions to ask your technician:
- Is he an expert on Overhead Cranes?
- Can he diagnose the problem and the root of the problem (so that it does not recur)?
- Does he understand the design of the whole system – such that he can access the part requiring repair/ replacement quickly?
- Is he trained in – the design, the functioning of the associated parts?
- Does he operate from safety while doing the work ( the work will need to be done overhead )? Does he take all the basic safety measures, wear safety shoes, safety shoes, helmet, safety belt?
- Does he have the required tools to get the job done quickly?
- From where he would source the replacement part, locally or from the Crane manufacturers?
Factors to be taken into account when in the purchase of Part / Component:
At the time of purchase of the part – it may occur that the spare is expensive when compared to be made locally or from another source. But let’s look at the difference –
- the Crane manufacturers make the part to a certain designedspecific material of construction – the local source may not be aware of this – he may use his limited experience and choose a commonly available material.
- The Crane manufacturers will work on some tolerances determined by the overall design of the machine – the local source does not have access to this tolerance. The chances of variation are high.
As a result, the part may fit but its performance and life may not be up to the expected standard.
- Most Crane manufacturers have a practice of periodic review of part failures in their designs. This helps them in ongoing refinement and update of the material of construction thereby reducing the downtime and increasing the lifespan of the Overhead Cranes.
It is hence noticed that getting the problem sorted out with the Crane manufacturers – from their qualified technicians and with their approved parts proves to be advantageous for the Overhead Crane user in terms of faster repairs, reduced down time, longer uninterrupted work hours or lifespan for the Crane, safe working methods and ultimately happy customers.